Best journalism podcasts to listen to
In an ever-changing media landscape, podcasts are on the rise – and they are the perfect way to further immerse yourself in the world of journalism.
Whether you’re running, commuting or eating your breakfast, listening to podcasts is an easy and accessible way to consume news and entertainment. Here are our top picks:
Best news podcasts
Most major UK and American publications and broadcasters now have daily or weekly news podcasts.
- Sky News Daily with Dermot Murnaghan brings you up to date on the news of the day.
- Times Radio launched this year. While it’s not technically a podcast, Times Radio offers continuous reporting and discussion of the news throughout the day with some of The Times biggest names.
- Financial Times Daily News is perfect for if you’re in a hurry, giving you 15 minutes of bitesize news.
- New York Times Daily – for your daily dose of American current affairs.
- BBC Make a Difference is a weekly podcast telling good news stories from communities across the UK.
- The News Agents with Emily Maitlis, Jon Sopel and Lewis Goodall – three of the UK’s top journalists – host a daily news podcast: The News Agents. They’re not just here to tell you what’s happening, but why. Expect astute analysis and explanation of the day’s news.
Best analysis podcasts
- BBC Radio 4 The Media Show BBC media editor Amol Rajan explores media industry developments, tackling everything from the benefits and pitfalls of social media to the “fake news” phenomenon.
- The Guardian – Today in Focus Using powerful storytelling, Anushka Asthana provides a deeper understanding of the news.
- The Economist – The Intelligence In-depth analysis of topical subjects from around the world.
- BBC Newscast Started up off the back of the popular Brexitcast, offering political analysis and chit chat between some of the BBC’s top journalists.
Best interview podcasts
There are loads of podcasts which give an insider perspective on the media industry, often in a more upbeat tone than you might find in an in-depth newspaper interview.
- Media Masters This podcast has been airing for years, so there is a huge back catalogue to work through. There are some BIG names interviewed here, including Julie Etchingham, Amelia Gentleman, Trevor McDonald and Krishnan Guru-Murthy.
- How to Fail with Elizabeth Day Every week, journalist Elizabeth Day meets a new interviewee who explores what their failures taught them about how to succeed better.
- Media Tribe with Shaunagh Connaire In a series of interviews, Shaunagh Connaire introduces you to the journalist behind the story, their journey into the industry, and some of their most crazy experiences along the way.
- The High-Low Show This podcast is where the political meets the trivial. Journalists Pandora Sykes and Dolly Alderton chat about current affairs, with a sprinkling of celebrity gossip and humour
Best investigative podcasts
- The Tip-off If investigative journalism is your jam, this podcast explores the detective work that goes into uncovering dark secrets and complex stories.
This list is just a starting point – there are so many more fascinating podcasts out there to listen to, or you could even try your hand at making one yourself!
Best LGBTQ+ podcasts
Making Gay History – Intimate, personal portraits of both known and long-forgotten champions, heroes, and witnesses to history brought to you from rare archival interviews.
Food 4 thot – A multiracial mix of queer writers talk about sex, relationships, race, identity, what we like to read. Hosted by Denne Michele Norris, Joseph Osmundson, Tommy Pico, and Fran Tirado. Produced by Domino Sound.
BBC LGBT Sports Podcast hosted by Jack Murley takes a look at LGBTQ+ issues in sport. Weekly guests have included Jake Daniels, Nicola Adams and Stephen Fry.
Best sports podcasts
Against the rules with journalist and bestselling author Michael Lewis take a searing look at what’s happened to fairness. Lewis interviews referees and coaches from many walks of life, bringing his trademark insight and wry humor to their stories of inequality today.
Football weekly – Join Max Rushden and guests as they pick over the latest action from the Premier League and beyond.
The Tennis Podcast – for anyone that likes tennis, from the occasional enthusiast to the hard-core fan. David Law, Catherine Whitaker and Matt Roberts debate, argue and laugh about the sport they love on a weekly basis.
Tailenders – Tailenders is a podcast and sometimes BBC radio show which is nominally centered around the world of cricket. The show is presented by BBC Radio 1 DJ Greg James with ex-Maccabees guitarist Felix White and England international cricketer James Anderson.
The Race – Podcasts from The Race bring you the latest insight and analysis around the major stories from key motorsport series.
While you’re here, check out our blog on the best books to read if you want to become a journalist.